Thursday, September 30, 2010

Oh what strange fate is now upon me.



What follows just came in from a dear friend and I'm in a quandary as to what I should do. I have made some deft edits to keep the identities of all involved private. I'm posting it in this journal as an interesting continuance to my last post. This is the Suzanne I was writing about. This is her admission to M that she and I are no longer in touch. She intimates that the reasons for the rift are complicated and they surely must be because if she had a stroke after our breakup and never contacted me, she really didn't want me to know. I would have been the first person she would have turned to since I too had to come back from a stroke. She knows me well, and would have known I'd be down there to help her in a nano-second rift or no rift. So she chose not to tell me. What could I have possibly done to elicit such an intense anger? I sincerely hope she is making a good recovery and is getting the help she needs.

At this point in time, I don't know what I can, or should do. Do I call her and risk another angry rejection? Do I just let it go, and act as if I don't know? I really am very confused not only about what I should do, but also about my emotional response. I'm coldly detached but angry as well. A part of me says she was never there for my illnesses and another part says, that's no excuse for not reaching out to her. I need to think deeply and seek some guidance. In the end it comes down to, what can I live with? That is the pressing question.



Shalom Claire:

May you be inscribed in the Book of Life for the coming year … geez that sounds pompous!

Anyways, hoping that you are happy and healthy.

I very, very,very ,very rarely do this, but I am sending you copy of an e-mail exchange between Suzanne and myself.

Best

M. S.

Hello M,

Just a quick note and an update. Your colleague wrote us about writing an article for you At that time, (middle of August) I put her on our mailing lists so that she would know what it is we actually do. In the last week or so, I spoke to her again about what schedule she might be on. But since that time, I have had second thoughts about whether or not any publicity is a good idea.

First, something I haven't mentioned. For some complicated reasons, I haven't maintained my relationship with Claire since May of 2009. Also in late June of that same year I had a stroke and almost closed down FP altogether. As it turned out, something in me continued to want to get up, go to the computer, and continue sending out the human rights "news." So I have continued to do so, but no longer raise any money or receive any kind of salary. Now I'm just doing it because I still can, and because it still needs to be done. We also continue to get emails from all over the world every month that our work is appreciated. That being said, F P is no longer an entity that can be relied on. It takes a back burner to my recovery, which is going well, but damage is still there. My left hand has an electrical energy of its own now and even a tiny email like this one is difficult to accomplish, and full, full, full of corrections. So I am thinking that it would be better not to call attention to an organization which may or may not continue, my health permitting.

That being said, this news is not common knowledge. The Board and I have agreed to just more or less restrict what is done to the mailings, and the mailings continue to give me strength and purpose. Sorry I took so long to let you know, and hope you will understand. Getting old is turning out to be no joke. Also, a big thank-you for your help at the beginning when we were just getting ready to fly. Your critical analyses of certain papers at that time were very helpful, and gave me the courage to get up and go. I remain and will remain quite grateful.

Best wishes and hopes that all is well with you,

Suzanne