Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's Rosh Hashanah already?




It has been a while since I communed with my blog. I seem to be in a state of extreme business without actually doing anything substantive, just picking up the pieces of a fall schedule.

I've rejoined my pottery class to resume sculpting. I can sculpt without joining a class of course, but I need access to a kiln and the wise experience of my teacher Karen. She knows a lot of stuff about clay, firing, glazes et al that I need to explore. I was so happy with the leaf platter that I made I want to try making a few more plates in natural forms.

I have also agreed to be on the Market Hall fund raising cabinet. I know I said that I had enough committee work to last a lifetime, but this is such a worthy cause and I believe I can be helpful. I have some PSO experience to share and some good contacts that would support this venture. A new, intimate and state of the art performance venue with an adventurous mandate is badly needed in Peterborough. It's in my area of interest so I'll feel a greater commitment than I did on the Dragon Boat Festival committee. Of course I care about finding a cancer cure, but others care more deeply than me. I was right to resign.

I'm also trying new ventures like taking the bus tour to the ROM to see the Terracotta Army exhibit with Trudy. We won't need to drive and we'll enjoy a day away from the norm. Oh my God I'm a senior. I'm taking bus tours for seniors, so I must be one. Has it come to that already?

On the other hand, I completed six paintings while at the cottage, of my beloved landscape but working in a new medium. After my exhibition, it became clear to me that I had to push myself out of my comfort zone. I needed to lose some control and experiment more so I switched to painting with acrylics. I bought bigger boards, larger brushes and $235. worth of paints. I had hoped to become more abstract as well but that didn't come. Instead I did some very vibrant and interesting landscapes after an initial struggle to learn the medium. I came home pleased.

Today I did my first ever painting of my garden. Now that was definitely outside my comfort zone. I missed the openess of the lake and the reflections. I also missed the expanses of rock. The back garden is so enclosed and canopied by large leafy trees it feels like painting the inside of a large box. I don't know how I like the painting yet. I need to do a few more to put this painting in perspective. I may be working outside my comfort zone, but I'm clearly painting inside the box.

I'm ready to start my physio again tomorrow. I've become lazy since I came back from the cottage. I was much more active there. Although I only swam a few times, I did much more walking and climbing. It was healthy and enjoyable. Jane is such a great travel companion. She understands country life and quickly falls into a routine. We got along so well. Most interesting was watching her interest in photography mature. She explores a subject and does a whole series of shots as she gets to know it. I was fascinated by her patience with wildlife, the hummingbird in particular. It became very clear that her talent was handicapped by the limitations of her camera. I suggested she ask for a new camera at Christmas. She needs a better macro lens.

The best part of our cottage stay was visiting with friends. We had our annual picnic at Lac Nicholas with Jean and Michael Reeves, the entire family Nicholas and two dogs. Lots of food and good conversation was had by all. We were there from 1:00 till 5:30, a long time for the two Jeans now in their eighties. Then we went off to the Gatineau to spend a day at Barbara's place. Again, we had a wonderful visit and met Barb's beloved Kenya - a friendly hulk of a dog.

Joan Roberts and her friend Susan joined us at my place for another swell day. Joan is also in her eighties and is delightfully sharp and active. She loves to swim and we went in together floating around on the water talking and laughing. I put in my ear plugs and Joan took out her hearing aid and we proceeded to shout at each other. So funny.

Elizabeth my dear friend from New York days also visited and shared her experiences from coping with her sister's stroke and dementia, to moving her into a nursing home. Elizabeth endured all the responsibility for the house and her sister, only to discover that her sister had drawn up papers giving the bank dual power of attorney. So Elizabeth can't make any decisions on Claire's behalf or about the house without asking the bank's permission. She broke down and wept while telling me the story. It was such a huge betrayal to Elizabeth that after all these years of caring for her sister and sharing her home, in the end she was not trusted to act on her behalf. Her sister's final act, was to treat Elizabeth like an irresponsible child. My heart was aching for her.

Finally, once I came home there was the celebration of Maya's 33rd birthday. She and my "other daughter" Tracy celebrated together at the Waugh cottage on Rice Lake, complete with Tracy's two babies, her parents Bruce and Nicki, Maya's Glenn and me. It was fun and warm and familial with much baby bouncing and reminiscing. Good fun and a first for me, Maya and Glenn went home to London and I came home to Peterborough alone. I was ok with it and kind of treasured being on my own. My new student Kathleen moved in the next day and life goes on.

Happy New Year - Shanah Tovah to everyone.