Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Film Interview

Yesterday was a very good day. Some time ago in the spring, I ran into an old colleague at a retirement party. He is now retired and has a film company. He told me that he had been commissioned by the Canadian Veterans Association to do a documentary about the liberation of Holland in 1945. The film was to capture the memories of that time before the remaining vets passed away. He had been in Holland on the 65th Anniversary of the liberation and was overwhelmed by the reception given to the Canadians. I suggested that he focus on the Dutch survivors as well, particularly members of the Resistance. They were a big help to the Canadians and they too are disappearing, taking their stories with them. Well, amazingly, he acted on that and has talked to a number of Dutch Canadians about their memories. He had interviewed a number of Dutch people while in Holland but needed material to weave it all into a coherent whole. He asked if I would share my family history and yesterday was interview day.

He arrived and set up at 1:00 for what he thought would be a one or two hour shoot. It turned into a three hour shoot and we could have continued longer. Fortunately, I had in recent times started writing some of it down in this blog, so it was fairly fresh in my mind. Apparently, during the interview I was so animated and articulate, as well as emotional in my telling of the stories, he couldn't stop filming. He also shot some still photos from the family album as well as war stills from footage in Dutch books I have. He went away with a feast of information that filled all the gaps in his film - a veritable documentarian's dream. He said everything I talked about supported other stories and he now had the bridging material for the film. The Dutch perspective merged with the Canadian perspective. From this vantage point in time, that's the ideal way to tell the story.

It was a wonderful experience. Just knowing that someone will be able to see this film and know something of my amazing family, gives me huge pleasure. Usually, I am concerned about my image on camera - is my hair and makeup just so, am I sitting straight etc. Not this time. I couldn't have cared less. This film is not about me. I'm just a conduit to a much bigger story - may parents and their generation.

Most of it will end up in out-takes I'm sure, but I can hope.