Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Another Adventure

It is the first day of September and feels like a heat wave in early August. It looks like early September though. It's the sun you see. It sits much lower in the sky. I'm very sensitive to light and it's effect on colour. The shadows are lengthening, the shade seems deeper and the sun's rays cast a golden glow over everything. I love it so much. With the shortening days comes die back in the garden - much less cultivating and more cutting down happens now. I don't love that. It makes me sad.

Just like my garden points to a new cycle of life, so does the arrival of a new student for the coming academic year. She has just moved in today all shy and polite, anxious to make a good impression. Her name is Kathleen from Nova Scotia. She arrived with her mother and they both have auburn hair. A red- headed Kathleen - how suitable. It's early days but I hope we will adjust to each other effortlessly.

In case you're wondering why I put myself through these changes every year (five now) let me be clear, it's not for the money. There is not enough involved to make much of a difference to my economic status. I like having a young woman living with me. I enjoy the youthful energy, the new interests and the company. It makes the long winter go faster and takes me out of myself.
I enjoy her field of studies (Museum Management) and it's a way of supporting the program.
Willy enjoys having another person to pester and play with. It's all good really. Some students I've liked better than others, but I've disliked none.

So here goes, another adventure is about to begin.