Monday, December 6, 2010

Women are very funny people.

If humour be the elixer of life, laugh on! (Apologies to Shakespeare)

Women alone, without men present, are natural comediennes. Yesterday, I had a holiday tea with a group of former colleagues from my pre - retirement days. We convened at a posh tea room in Ptb. that specializes in traditional English teas. Being close to Christmas, the rooms were filled with * ladies who lunch*, and us.

Our stories were so funny and the asides so ribald we were constantly disturbing the dignified calm with our peels of laughter. Fortunately, the owner of the tea room, The Magic Rolling Pin, is also a MNR retiree and knows all of us us well. She placed us in a room on our own where we could do less damage and then came popping in periodically to join the conversation. After two and a half hours of so much laughter, my sides hurt and I came home exhausted and happy. They say laughter is the best antidote to aging. If that is so, I just added a couple of years to my life in one afternoon.