Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Solstice!


What a wonderful sunny day for the Solstice. This morning I went to my friend Mary's internment. There were about ten of us present at Little Lake Cemetery. Mary's niche is in the same cairn I selected for Elliot and I. In fact she is on the opposite side of the wall. The location, up on a hill under a grove of spruce trees is beautiful. The snow was glistening in the sunlight and there was no wind. A perfect Winter Solstice day.

It's almost a year since Mary's death and her husband David created a most beautiful ceremony. He spent some time researching different burial rituals and selected the elements that suited Mary's best. So we had symbols and readings from Ojiwa, Jewish, Wicca and Christian ceremonies. We all participated and then one by one, we laid pebbles in the niche. The niche was closed and it was over. It was a beautiful and dignified goodbye. We went together for lunch and then went on with our afternoon activities feeling joyful rather than sad. Mary would have approved.

My afternoon was mainly medical, getting the routine tests done before I head off to London and Christmas. Then I filled the bird feeders, topped up the bird bath, watered the plants and wrapped my last presents. Now I must pack my things and the food and I'll be ready to leave my happy home for Maya's and Glenn's happy home. Willy is still not aware that he's going anywhere but he'll have much fun with his London cousins.