Friday, January 14, 2011

As January speeds by, the days grow longer!




It's already the middle of January. What have I done so far in the New Year? It seems like yesterday that I returned with Willy from London after a splendid Christmas and New Year holiday. Much food was consumed, friends were visited and a new futon was purchased for the Living Room. Since it was my bed at night, I decided by mid visit that I would not survive the very flat and lumpy old mattress. It had served Maya well for many years, but its time was up. The new one was delivered on the same day it was bought and I slept well at last. It's also a very good quality mattress, upholstered in a beautiful fabric that was made for Maya and Glenn's room.

I spent my Christmas Day with Glenn's family and it was very pleasant. Last year we didn't know each other, and were all a bit more formal. This year we were so relaxed, we all fell asleep together in their living room after dinner. Maya came into the room to find Christine, Geoff (Glenn's ) parents, his grandmother, sister Gillian and me all nodding away on couches and chairs. Even the dog was asleep. Glenn fell asleep in the sun room, leaving Maya the only one awake. Now that's relaxed! To some perhaps, too relaxed but what do they know. We all awakened refreshed and resumed our conversations. It was a scene from the Dylan Thomas classic, "A Child's Christmas in Wales".

Meanwhile, Willy was having a jolly holiday with his cousins, Maya and Glenn's three cats. They spent ten days following each other, wrestling, running up and down stairs, looking out of windows, eating together and occasionally sleeping. Christmas wrapping paper, empty boxes, ribbons and cat toys were a source of great entertainment for all. Once we came home Willy slept for three days straight as did his cousins back in London.

It is a jolly little family. Maya and Glenn are well matched in that they bring out so much good in each other. They also reflect each others negative moods which could be a problem. Both have a depressive aspect to their personalities which must be acknowledged and dealt with. The danger is that one or the other may not detach enough to take the high road. I'm a worrier and need to detach myself. They have to sort out their own lives and take the positive steps needed to grow together in a healthy and productive manner. They are both intelligent, creative and sensitive people who love each other. With respect and courage and good will, they will do well.

I came back to resume my physio-therapy and vertigo therapy. I registered for another term of ceramics and a workshop in digital photography. I started sorting out my stuff for income tax preparation, paid some bills and am getting my house in order for 2011. We have 2 more months of winter ahead of us but I take comfort from the days lengthening. Yes the sun is setting later and it won't be long until the spring is apparent. My positive outlook is coming back.
"Life is a cabaret, old chum..." at least sometimes.