Monday, January 4, 2010

Tale of four cats - Twee and Choco, Willy, and Matty


WOW, where did 2009 go?
I left Peterborough for London, ON, December 23, spent eight days in a whirlwind of holiday and moving activity and arrived home yesterday afternoon, Jan.3 2010 more tired than I realized. Between Europe and London,ON, I've been away from home over a month and I'm completely disoriented.

Willy and I had a wonderful time. Willy partied with the cousin cats and Glenn's cat Matty added to the mix. Miraculously all the cats really got along well in the new digs, chasing each other up and down stairs, under furniture, around boxes and packing cases, and flopping down in their tracks from exhaustion.

The three adults also were very busy and flopped in their tracks from exhaustion too. It is very difficult to consolidate two households into one, empty two apartments and leave them clean as well as trying to organize the new space. We managed to celebrate Christmas Eve complete with small tree and a star lighting a festive corner in the living room. We spent Christmas day happily eating and playing Trivial Pursuit at Glenn's family home, and he treated us to a wonderful dinner on New Year's Eve. We concluded the feasting with a roast beef dinner on New Years Day.

Meanwhile as he hooked up sound and tv systems, Maya organized book shelves, and I hung drapes and curtains. A new dishwasher and refrigerator were delivered and connected. New coat hooks, door latches and shelving were installed while still allowing time for me to hear Glenn perform (a rewarding experience) and meet a lot of their friends at the pub. Glenn Stanway is a superior musician and his friends are a great group of young men.

We all worked very hard and, it seemed, at cross purposes occasionally. Maya and I did argue at times, but never in front of Glenn. We have very different working styles and can drive each other crazy but we get over it fast. We relaxed each night with laughter, watching old Muppet Shows.

There was a new balance in the relationship between M and I this visit and it requires some adaptation and acceptance on my part. I am no longer her primary confidant, Glenn is. This is as it should be as my parental role takes second place to his partnering role. They are now a team together and I'm the outsider (all be it a beloved outsider). This role shift demonstrates the maturity of their relationship and is very healthy. As I must now learn to graciously occupy my new place, I also feel relieved. I feel she is in a very safe place with Glenn.

It is now for me to find my safe place on my own. I still am not sure where I'm heading when I grow up.

Yes, it was a wonderful visit in so many ways. So much change for this old girl to take in and so short a time. I wonder what the New Year will bring.