Monday, July 11, 2011

Introducing Dinah.


Dinah has joined the family. She arrived last Friday to my great surprise. I went into Pet Value to buy some Koi food. As I came in, the sales woman was cleaning the adoption cage and holding this little fluffy bundle on her shoulder. The bundle looked at me and I looked at it and it was love at first sight. She was called Mary Pickford on the adoption papers, a very unsuitable name. Mary Pickford was petite and this kitten though small, will not be petite. She's a Maine Coon cross and will grow into a big cat.

She and her siblings were rescued by ARKK. were vet checked and had there shots before putting them up for adoption. I brought her home and introduced her to Willy who was not thrilled to see her. He is quite grumpy with me but he's a good-natured boy and he will be won over in time. I never expected to adopt a kitten. They are a hand full, and require a lot more care than a cat. I always felt that the older animals needed to be adopted more, and I believed that at my age, a kitten could outlive me. Willy and I have a tight relationship and didn't need a stranger butting in. All this good sense evaporated when I saw Dinah. Yes that's her new name Dinah.

She is home, purring on my chest as I write this. She likes to lie under my chin on my bust while I work on my laptop. Willy still has me all to himself in bed all night and he gets away from Dinah during the day when he goes out. Yesterday he would have nothing to do with Dinah, but today he was a bit intrigued and let her sniff him and watched her play with the toys he lost interest in long ago. It will work out once he figures how to maintain dominance and realizes he's still number one with me.

It will be a new adventure as she grows up and it will be fun.