Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer at the Cottage

I'm getting myself organized to leave for the cottage on Monday. I always go through an "I don't want to leave" phase. I really like my garden and home in Ptb. I don't need to get away from the city stress. My place in Ptb is not at all stressful. In fact, it's just like the country here. Once I get to the cottage, I need about two days to acclimatize to the quiet and new surroundings before I start wondering why I don't live there all the time. By the time I need to return, I'm very sad about leaving the lake and my life there.

This scenario repeats year after year and has done so for 42 years. In the last ten years, there have been many upgrades to make my life easier. I was really good at living simply in very rustic surroundings but I've had more challenges since my stroke. Things have been added like outdoor lighting, raised and leveled paths outdoors and new flooring indoors plus a new sink, a shower, a microwave all to facilitate my mobility, make things easier, and improve safety. I'm very glad I can still get there to enjoy the wildness of it all.

I hope everything goes smoothly and I don't end up with a broken foot, poison ivy, hives and the myriad small problems that have afflicted me in past years. Willy is going with me and I hope that all his adventures will be positive ones. Once we come back the summer will be pretty much a wrap. The birds will be flocking to prepare for migration and the garden will be tired, overgrown, and blousey, my most unfavourite time in the garden.

I bought new paints, brushes and big sheets of water colour paper. I'm going to try something new this year to break away from the tight control of my usual medium. There is no internet so I'll see you all at the end of August when I get back. Be well and take good care of yourselves while I'm away.