Thursday, April 2, 2009

News of today - Copy-cats

I have to enter this now before I forget. My sculpture class has been busy today with getting our work finished and ready to show on Saturday. Since I finished my head first, I've had time to work on my torso, which won't be fired in time for the show. Too bad, it's a very nice piece.

Remember in an earlier post I described the general reaction to my painted head? The teacher was disconcerted and the students were surprised. Today two students in our group finished their heads. Can you guess how? With polychrome of course. While the older artists did traditional finishes - bronze, ebony, bisque, the university students really broke free with the colour. Seems Gail has come along too. She really has an open mind - bless her. I mounted my head on an ebony very matt base which looks great.

I loaned Gail three more books, one with reproductions of my work "The Sunbathers" so the cat is now out of the bag. She showed the pictures to everyone and I was really pleased by the reaction. They were interested, questioning and then got on with their work. A healthy and positive response.

We have a good group, some more talented than others, but all are enjoying themselves. The few who enjoyed it less seem to have drifted off.

I registered to continue in the spring semester. This has been so good for me.