Sunday, April 5, 2009

April 4,2009 - Student Art Show

A quick look at today - Peterborough School of Art Student Exhibition.

I went with Megan and Freya. It was very exciting to have a sculpture in an exhibition after 39 years - even a little student show. The last show I saw my work exhibited was in was a great deal bigger, the "People in the Park" exhibition at the Stratford Art Gallery in 1968. It was a show of national importance which was written up in several international Art Mags.

I was happier at today's little opening, than I was then. Alfie and I were splitting up and went to the Stratford opening as a formality. I remember slipping away amid all the adulation to sit quietly by myself. Alfie had given me flowers for the first time in our entire married life. It was in response to having asked him why he never saw me as a woman and not just as his clever wife. He was startled. He'd never thought about it. So on this occasion, he bought me a big bouquet of flowers. Too little, too late. I was wondering where I would go after the triumph at Stratford, The Venice Biennale? Then I began to cry because knew I couldn't go on. I would never be free if I kept chasing Alfie's dreams. The marriage was over and with that, the resources to sculpt.

Today's little exhibition was a true triumph - it celebrated me recovering a piece of my self. It celebrated overcoming barriers and fears. I bought myself flowers.