Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oriental Royalty - Their Perfect Moment



I took photos yesterday before it rained. Poppies are perfect for such a short time, I was afraid the rain would batter them. So here are some of my beauties. Few flowers are as dazzling as Oriental Poppies. In a certain light they glow like stained glass. They come up early each summer, demand little and offer me about a week of breathtaking beauty. Then they drop their soft red petals and all that is left is a dark brown seed pod sticking out of a mass of hairy leaves. Later the leaves brown and become quite unattractive taking up space. I never move them (they hate to be moved) but attempt to disguise the unsightly bunches of leaves with a foreground of annuals. I must respect these exotic queens of my garden because they honour me with their brief show of perfection.

The garden and other summer favourites like bird watching and art puttering take up so much of my time. Forgive my entry deficit. More will come later.